A movie theater has been at this location since 1913 and named “The Queen” since 1914. It was originally located in the three-story Stoddard Hotel built here in 1889.* The Schulman family purchased the theater business in 1926 and the building in 1938. It was replaced by a modern structure with steel framework, air conditioning and indirect lighting designed by Pettigrew and Worley of Dallas. The tall, white façade was topped with a revolving, neon-lit crown. It reopened on Nov. 21, 1939 and continued for over 30 years. Vacant and in disrepair, the building was purchased by the Downtown Bryan Association in 2010 and restoration began. The Queen is the only example of Streamline Moderne architecture on Main Street.
*Editor's Note: The Stoddard Hotel was built in 1884; it was renamed "The Exchange Hotel" in 1889.
Further information is available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxFLu8F1xCg