Moseley's Ferry

Date Added: 
1975

Situated where the Old San Antonio Road crossed the Brazos River, this public ferry was begun by Michael Boren (1806-75) about 1846. The ferry and a settlement nearby were named for Daniel Moseley (1787-1856), who took over the service in 1849 and whose family ran it until 1868. Other ferrymen continued to transport travelers, livestock, and freight across the river until 1912, when The Houston & Texas Central (now the Southern Pacific) constructed a railroad bridge at this location. Today a highway bridge spans the Brazos where Moseley's ferry once operated.

Special Directions/Instructions: 
Although the marker is located in Burleson County, it is included because of its proximity to Brazos County.

Location

30° 37' 27.1992" N, 96° 32' 39.9012" W