James Wilson

Date Added: 
1997

(1821-1904) Ireland native James Wilson immigrated to the United States in 1842. He graduated in 1847 from Lafayette College in Boston, and from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1850, the year he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister. Wilson was sent to Texas in 1856 as a missionary in Brazos County. During his 53 year ministry, he served as a circuit preacher and organizer of many Brazos Valley Presbyterian congregations, including those at Wheelock, Bryan and Centerville. He married Laura Barnes, a published poet, in 1866. They are buried near the site of a church he founded. (1997)

Special Directions/Instructions: 
From the intersection of SH 6 and SH 21 (NE Bryan) go NE on SH 21 approx. 14.5 miles to FM 974; then NW on FM 974 approx. 6 miles to Macey Rd.; then N on Macey Rd. approx. .8 miles toNew Church Cemetery road, then NW on Church approx. .4 miles to cemetery.

Location

30° 54' 29.9988" N, 96° 16' 59.9988" W