Old Bethel Cemetery

Date Added: 
2008

AREA PIONEER, MARY A. WILLIAMS, DONATED LAND FOR THIS BURIAL GROUND TO BETHEL CHURCH IN 1869. IT HAS SERVED RESIDENTS OF THE HARVEY COMMUNITY AND THE SURROUNDING AREA SINCE THAT TIME. THE CEMETERY IS NAMED OLD BETHEL BECAUSE OF ITS CLOSE ASSOCIATION WITH THE CHURCH, WHICH MOVED FROM THIS LOCATION BY THE EARLY 1900s. THE EARLIEST DATED BURIAL, THAT OF ELIZABETH H. HUDSON, DATES TO 1870. OTHERS BURIED HERE INCLUDE EARLY AREA PIONEERS, COMMUNITY LEADERS, AND REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, CONFEDERATE AND U.S.VETERANS. THE CEMETERY FEATURES VERTICAL STONES AND WOODMEN OF THE WORLD MONUMENTS. TODAY, THE OLD BETHEL CEMETERY ASSOCIATION MAINTAINS THE BURIAL GROUND, WHICH CONTINUES TO SERVE THE AREA.

HISTORIC TEXAS CEMETERY-- 2006
MARKER IS PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS

Special Directions/Instructions: 
Located in the Harvey Community. From Bryan, go east on William J. Bryan Pkwy (FM 158). (The name of the road changes to Boonville Road on the east side of SH 6.) Go 6 miles to the intersection of FM 158 and Hwy 30 (Harvey Road). Continue east on Hwy 30 for .9 miles to Hardy Weedon Road. Turn left on Hardy Weedon Road and go .6 miles. The cemetery is on the left and enclosed by a chain link fence.

Location

30° 39' 19.008" N, 96° 15' 17.424" W