Methodism among African American Texans predates the Civil War with the first church being established in 1848. The earliest known African American minister in Brazos county was Reverend Emmanuel Hammitt who served under Reverend W.S. South. After emancipation African Americans were free to establish their own churches. Allen chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (A.M.E.) Is named after Reverend Richard Allen, the founder of the A.M.E. in 1787. The first meeting of the Allen Chapel congregation was before 1870. Church services were held in brush arbors and Reverend Hammitt became the first minister in 1866. Reverend Charles B. Foster replaced Hammitt as pastor of the Allen Chapel congregation in 1868. The congregation purchased land in July of 1870 to build the first chapel located on North Houston and East 22nd Street. Allen Chapel also served as a school for African American children in 1914 when their school was destroyed by fire. The second church was built in 1920 and the current church in 1961. The congregation has supported many organizations including the N.A.A.C.P., Bryan Charity Fund, Sickle Cell Anemia Foundation, Bethune Women’s Club and the Gideons. The church continues to fellowship with local churches with proceeds going to those in need. Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church is among the oldest continuing churches in Brazos County. If the formation of a church is measured by the presence of a minister and congregation then Allen Chapel would be one of the earliest organized African Methodist Episcopal congregations in Texas.
Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church