The Rev. Joseph Pelnar of Bryan's St. Joseph Catholic Church erected a parish school building here in the early 1890s. The children of East European immigrant families dominated student enrollment at St. Joseph's until about the 1930s. Teachers included M. Elizabeth Carr (1890s), Nuns of the Ursuline Order (1901-1930), and Nuns of the Incarnate Word (1930-1981). Facilities were constructed or acquired at various times to meet increased enrollment which reached its highest level in 1957 with 498 students. The school continues to offer local students general and Catholic educational classes.
St. Joseph School