Zion Church of Kurten

Date Added

Zion Church is the oldest established congregation of its denomination in Brazos County. It was created in the 1890s by some thirteen families, most of German descent, on land donated by German immigrants in the community of Kurten. Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church was established at Kurten in 1892 with Reverend P. Vollbrecht as its first pastor. On April 21, 1895, the congregation was reorganized, adopted a constitution and became a member of the Evangelical Synod of North America. The first building was constructed of rough oak boards at a cost of $225 and was built by members of the congregation under the leadership of Reverend P.J. Franzke. In 1896, the bell was installed. The church building was moved in 1902 from its original location, approximately one mile north and on the east side of the road, to the newly purchased land in Kurten. That tract of land serves today as the site of the parsonage and church buildings. In 1907, Rev. Julius Kasiske became pastor and served for twenty-one years. He organized the orchestra, was responsible for the Kurten Telephone Company, the Community Water Well and the Kasiske Creamery. In 1910, the church building doubled in size when a new wing and steeple were built. The sanctuary stood until 1942 when it was demolished and a new building was erected, which is still in use today. Since then, a new parish hall has been built and a family center erected which has become a focal point for church and community activities. In 2008, the congregation joined the Evangelical Free Church of America, and a new family ministry building was added in 2014.


30.787548, -96.266218