Brazos County Historic Markers
Use the page numbers at the bottom of the page to navigate the historical markers listed below. Click on the thumbnail images to see a larger size image, and click the title of each historic marker to see more information about it. Also available online is an interactive Google map of historic markers in Brazos County.
List of historical markers
When Texas A&M University opened in 1876, it was four miles from Bryan, the nearest town, and the need for campus housing for faculty and staff arose. The first of the campus houses, five brick homes along the east side of Throckmorton Street, were built in 1876. By 1938, there were more than one hundred homes on campus. The types of houses varied, ranging from large Queen Anne style homes to small bungalows and cottages. The homes were located throughout the campus. When the City of College Station was incorporated in 1938, housing in town became available, and the decision was made to remove the faculty housing. Many residents expressed a desire to buy their homes, and the college began accepting bids in 1941. One third of the houses were soon sold, with prices ranging from $200-$800. Another third were sold and moved over the next twenty years. The rest of the original structures were burned or razed. None remain on campus. Forty-one of the original homes have been located. Thirty-eight are in College Station, two are in Bryan, and one is about two miles north of Bryan.
In park-like setting just E of the A&M football stadium and W of the Sam Houston Sanders Corps of Cadet Bldg., Texas A&M University campus, College Station.
Completed in 1925 for the family of prominent Bryan merchant Eugene Edge (1879-1954) and his wife Cora Zulch (d. 1939), this two-and-one-half story brick house reflects the Georgian Revival style. Defining features include its symmetrical composition, entry portico with Doric columns, stone quoins, gabled dormers, and fanlight transom. After the deaths of Mr. and Mrs. Edge, the house remained in the Edge family until 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991
609 S. Ennis, Bryan.
El Camino Real Also known as Old San Antonio Road and Old Spanish Trail A trail of adventure, hardships, opportunity and freedom, over which history stalked into Texas. To the Spanish, El Camino Real was a road traveled for the king â€“ to colonize, Christianize, seek adventure or look for riches. This road became the most famous. Its many parts were made, discovered or known hundreds of years before 1691, when Domingo Teran de los Rios, first Texas governor, joined and marked the different trails for the king. It was the route from Monclova (crossing the Rio Grande near Eagle Pass) to the missions of east Texas. Probably its trailblazers were buffalos and Indians, or Aztecs on trading expeditions. It was also probably traveled, described and changed in part by French explorer La Salle; by Alonso de Leon and Father Damian Massanet planting missions in east Texas; and by the French nobleman St. Denis seeking trade along the Rio Grande. As the years wore on, it was traveled in 1820 by Moses Austin, as well as by thousands of settlers who followed him. San Augustine, Nacogdoches and San Antonio were its principal cities; inns sprang up along the way. Soldiers and supply trains used it during the Texas Revolution, Mexican War and Civil War. It is still followed in part by this highway.
OSR (Old San Antonio Road) is the boundary between Brazos and Robertson Counties in the area where this marker is located. Although the marker is located on the Robertson County side of OSR, it is included because of its proximity to Brazos County. Marker is located approximately .75 mile Northeast of the intersection of Highway 6 and OSR.
This Queen Anne style residence features a two-story wraparound porch with a decorative balustrade. The front porch, with its Doric columns and triangular pediment over the entryway, exhibits elements of the Colonial Revival style of architecture. The home was constructed in 1901-02 by locally prominent builder Charles Jenkins. It served as the residence of Eugene Edge, an early Bryan businessman, until 1918. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985
508 E. 30th St., Bryan.
"Bryan Station, Brazos County, Nov. 21, 1866...I hope a better day is dawning, for last Sabbath a Baptist church was organized here and 16 members united with it," wrote Mrs. Sara Dodson. One block west of this site stood first house of worship, a two-story frame building that once was a tenpin alley and saloon; the first pews were planks laid on kegs. Rev. W.B. Eaves was the first pastor. The present church sanctuary, erected 1927, is seventh house of worship since its founding and third to be erected on this site since 1883.