Brazos County Historic Markers
Use the page numbers at the bottom of the page to navigate the historical markers listed below. Click on the thumbnail images to see a larger size image, and click the title of each historic marker to see more information about it. Also available online is an interactive Google map of historic markers in Brazos County.
List of historical markers
Native of Missouri. Member of prominent family who were Texas statesmen, planters, developers. Grandson of Moses Austin, who obtained from Mexico charter for American Colony in Texas, but died before making settlement. Nephew of Stephen F. Austin, "Father of Texas", who actually established the colony. Came to Texas with his mother, Emily Austin Bryan Perry, in 1831. During Texas Revolution, fought in Battle of Bexar, 1835. For 71 years was a planter on land near Peach Point, where the bachelor Stephen F. Austin had a room reserved for him in Perry Home. As eldest nephew, inherited family leadership when Stephen F. Austin died in 1836. Backed his brothers' careers, especially in the case of Guy M. Bryan, U.S. Congressman 1858-1860, and for many years a leader in Texas government. During the Civil War, cared for business interests of his 4 sons in the Confederate Army. At his own expense fed Confederate troops stationed near his plantation to defend the Texas coast. Backed construction of Deep Water Harbor at mouth of the Brazos. During building of Houston & Texas Central Railroad, donated site for Bryan, which in 1866 became county seat of Brazos County.
N side of courthouse square; 300 East 26th St., Bryan.
Old Three Hundred Colonist William T. Millican was born in South Carolina about 1780 and came to Texas with his parents and siblings in 1821. They joined Stephen F. Austin's first colony and were granted land in this area on which to make their home. The community that grew up around their land became known as Millican. W. T. Millican's property was granted in 1824, and in the 1826 census he was listed as a farmer and stock raiser. Just prior to the outbreak of the Texas Revolution, he served as a delegate to the consultation at San Felipe in 1835, which endorsed the establishment of a provisional government for the colonists. The Millican family fled their home in 1836 as part of the Runaway Scrape, as news spread of Sam Houston's retreat eastward from Mexican general Santa Anna. Millican's father, Robert Hemphill Millican, died during the flight. By the time the rest of the family reached Liberty, victory had been won at San Jacinto and they returned to their home. From April until July 1836, W. T. Millican served in the Republic Of Texas army to guard the frontier and posthumously was awarded land at this site from Sam Houston for his service. During the years of the Republic, Millican served as a public official in several capacities, including Justice of the Peace and a member of the committee appointed to select a county seat for Brazos County (first called Navasota County) upon its establishment in 1841. He died two years later and was buried in the Weaver Cemetery in Millican. (2002)
3 mi. NW of Millican on FM 2154, then 1 mi. W on High Prairie Rd.
Designed in 1898 by Bryan architect George Washington Jenkins, this home was constructed for Julia Kapp Wipprecht, who was a well-known local philanthropist. Mrs. Wipprecht lived in the home until her 1919 death, after which her son, businessman Walter Wipprecht, moved with his family into the home. The house remained in the Wipprecht family until 1990, when it was sold by Walter’s granddaughter. The two-story Queen Anne-style house features a cross-gabled plan, partial-width front porch, textured shingles, and decorative gable and eave detailing.
500 East 29th St., at the corner of East 29th St. and Houston Ave. in Bryan, Texas.
The rural farming community of Wixon was settled in the late 1860s by former residents of several war-torn southern states. The Wixon School and Wixon Cumberland Presbyterian Church were established in the 1870s on land adjacent to this cemetery. The earliest recorded burial here was that of Nancy Summers in 1871. Both the church and school closed in the 1930s and in 1968 the school property was deeded to the cemetery association. Buried here are many of the area's early settlers and their descendants and at least 17 Confederate Civil War veterans.
From the intersection of SH 6 and U.S. Hwy. 190 go NE on U.S. Hwy. 190 approx. 5 miles to FM 2776; then NW on FM 2776 approximately .6 miles to cemetery gate.
Zion Church is the oldest established congregation of its denomination in Brazos County. It was created in the 1890s by some thirteen families, most of German descent, on land donated by German immigrants in the community of Kurten. Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church was established at Kurten in 1892 with Reverend P. Vollbrecht as its first pastor. On April 21, 1895, the congregation was reorganized, adopted a constitution and became a member of the Evangelical Synod of North America. The first building was constructed of rough oak boards at a cost of $225 and was built by members of the congregation under the leadership of Reverend P.J. Franzke. In 1896, the bell was installed. The church building was moved in 1902 from its original location, approximately one mile north and on the east side of the road, to the newly purchased land in Kurten. That tract of land serves today as the site of the parsonage and church buildings. In 1907, Rev. Julius Kasiske became pastor and served for twenty-one years. He organized the orchestra, was responsible for the Kurten Telephone Company, the Community Water Well and the Kasiske Creamery. In 1910, the church building doubled in size when a new wing and steeple were built. The sanctuary stood until 1942 when it was demolished and a new building was erected, which is still in use today. Since then, a new parish hall has been built and a family center erected which has become a focal point for church and community activities. In 2008, the congregation joined the Evangelical Free Church of America, and a new family ministry building was added in 2014.